Clothing It is no big secret that every mum wants to have a fashionable kid dressed in premium-quality and trendy baby clothes. Still, this does not mean you have to buy everything you like in a shop regardless of the price.
Generally, during the first year, your lovely baby will grow fast. Hence, buying clothing items that are 0 to 1 year in size is the right thing to do. Also, pay attention to the labels on clothes and make sure that these items are made of cotton if you want to avoid any irritation of your baby’s delicate skin. Here is what you need for this initial period with the baby, so make a list before you go shopping:
- 5 infant T-shirts
- 5 onesies with short sleeves
- 5 onesies with long sleeves
- 5 sets of pajamas
- 5 pairs of socks
- A pair or two of soft booties before your baby starts walking
- 5 pairs of cotton pants
- Cotton sweaters, jackets, or hoodies depending on the season
- 2 caps and a hat as proper protection from the sun
- 3 pairs of soft cotton mittens to prevent scratching
- Up to 5 sets of clothes that fit perfectly for dressing up when you decide to go for a walk or a visit
- A snowsuit depending on the season
- Mild soap or detergent for laundry
EQUIPPING THE NURSING ROOM
A typical nursery room includes a comfortable sleeping area, enough storage space for baby’s must-have items, and a proper place for changing diapers. So, to equip the nursery appropriately, you will need:
- A crib and a firm mattress
- 4 fitted crib sheets
- 3 waterproof pads to place under baby
- A laundry hamper
- A changing table
- A light comforter or a sleep sack
- A white noise machine, which is not exactly a must-have, but it is certainly a life-saver when you need to help your baby calm down and fall asleep quickly and more easily.
- Baby monitor for all those parents who feel nervous and restless when their baby is out of sight.
Choosing the best diapers and baby wipes is always challenging for parents. There are too many options available, which is why making the final decision is a confusing and very time-consuming process.
When it comes to diapers, you can choose between cloth, disposable, and hybrid diapers. Cloth diapers are available at favorable prices, but one of the major downsides of using these is that they require extra time and effort to clean and wash. Hence, it is not surprising that a vast number of mums opt for disposable diapers. Interestingly, you can also find hybrid diapers that are reusable, flushable, compostable, but the most expensive of them all.
Baby wipes can cause confusion, too. They can be disposable or reusable, pre-moistened, or dry. What you choose will depend on the specific situation. The chances are you will eventually learn how to use the perfect mix of all types.
When obtaining diaper essentials, shop for:
- 5 changing table pads
- 5 changing pad covers
- At least two toys to occupy the baby during the changes
- Dirty diaper pail
- A cream to prevent rash
- Baby wipes
- A washable diaper bag
- 2 boxes of size 1 diapers as your baby will grow fast
Feeding essentials you need for your baby will differ significantly if you are breastfeeding or using formula. This is one of the crucial decisions any mum has to make. Mums who choose extended breastfeeding need only a few or almost no essentials of his type until the time comes to meet one of the challenges with toddlers – facing the end of breastfeeding. However, formula feeding is considerably more demanding.
Here is what you need for feeding the baby:
- 5 bibs
- A nursing pillow
- An organic formula if you are formula-feeding
- A bottle and nipple brush
- Milk storage containers
- Thermal bottle carrier
- Breast pump
- Breast pads – washable or disposable
- Nipple cream
- 3 nursing bras
To bathe your baby properly, you do not need too many items nor too much time. A specially designed infant tub is the starting point, but you should also shop for:
- 2 big soft towels with hoods
- Cotton buds
- Baby shampoo and body wash
- Baby nail cutter
- Soft brush
- Digital thermometer
- A nasal aspirator
- 5 pacifiers
Some toys for bathing time to use in the bathtub
Every parent strives to create a nice, cozy, comfortable, and warm place for the baby to sleep. Ideally, you should obtain the following items to get the perfect sleeping area for your baby:
- 4 receiving blankets
- 3 cotton blankets
- A sleep rack or two wearable blankets
Some of the items listed above among nursery essentials like waterproof pads, baby monitor, crib sheets, and so on, also belong in this group.
ON THE GO ESSENTIALS
Going out with your baby is a genuine adventure. Mums are particularly eager to make exploring the world joyful for their babies. Regardless of where you are going, bringing everything that is necessary for baby duties while you are out is a must. Our newborn checklist suggests the following items:
- A rear-facing comfortable car seat
- A stroller
- A sun shield for your car
- A travel bag
- A portable bed
- Diapers, baby wipes, a spare set of clothes
- Formula if you are formula-feeding
All the above-mentioned items prove that the list of everything you need before the baby arrives is considerably long. However, do not let this newborn checklist intimidate you. Raising a child is a never-ending challenge, full of ups and downs, packed with continuous searches to find the best items for your baby. Try and test various products to find what suits your baby best. Our suggestions are just a starting point for further research.